Wednesday 13 June 2012

OPM Icons To Launch MOA Arena


I am excited. Why? Mall of Asia managed to come up with a very fantastic idea of gathering all Original Pinoy Music icons in line with the Grand Launch of Mall of Asia Arena.

With World-class concert artists from various generations take part in the show including Lea Salonga, Regine Velasquez, Gary Valenciano, Martin Nievera, Jose Mari Chan, The Company and many more. Hosted by Jim Paredes and Pops Fernandez, “Icons at the Arena: Masters of OPM” will also be graced by comic TV personalities Pokwang, Jose Manalo, and Wally Bayola.

Now, it is worth noting that this is perhaps the biggest gathering of OPM artists say for the past 5 years? And I do hope that with this, they will revive the OPM indsutry.  I'd really would want to watch this show.  Because it's OPM!

I literally grew up as a child of OPM.  Well, who doesn't? But I consider my life being honed and guided by the music of geniuses like Gary
Granada, Arnel De Pano, and Ryan Cayabyab.  I was born during the Martial Law and music, OPM particularly, had been a some sort of a weapon during those oppresive times.

I am a child of OPM.  My mom would hmmmm lullabies to the tune of Claire Dela Fuente's "Sayang." I first sang in front of a crowd singing Ogie Alcasid's "Nandito Ako" long before Thalia revived it and of course this year that song was again popularized by American Idol finalist, David Archuleta.  I witnessed the fall of jukebox.  I'd ask my mom to give me coins so I could play Dingdong Avanzado's "Tatlong Beinte Singko" on the jukebox of our neighbor's eatery in Pasay.  

I never joined singing contests.  I mastered almost all of Gary Granada's songs from "Eroplanong Papel" to "Mabuti Pa Sila." I fell in love for the first time and cried singing Ryan Cayabyab's "Tuwing Umuulan" and fall in love again singing Basil Valdez' "Kahit Ika'y Panaginip Lang".

I started dreaming of becoming a singer one day and idolized Lea Salonga and Gary Valenciano.

I also witnessed the rise of the videoke machine.  Basil Valdez' "You" was the first song I sang infront of mall goers in Masagana mall in Pasay City.  That song paved way to my short singing career.  I then began singing in karaoke bars in Ermita and Malate.

These composers and singers are the icons of my life.  They influenced me not only that exact moment of triumph and solitude but also honed me to be strong and defiant to what seemed to be  forced by fate.  

But if I am to be asked who among them are my ultimate ICON? It has got to be BASIL VALDEZ.  He does not only taught me (through his songs) how to sing but had moved me and guide me through life with every lines of his songs. 

I've marked the date.  June 16, Saturday, 8pm at the Mall of Asia Arena. I will definitely watch these ICONS.

So dear poets, if you also want to watch the Icons at the Mall of Asia Arena -- the Mall of Asia Arena Grand Launch, please visit www.smtickets.com or call (02) 470-2222 for the purchase of tickets.

No comments:

Post a Comment